- Creating a National Research Cloud, Stanford Law School, Winter/Spring 2021 (Law 807Z) – policy practicum co-taught with Professor Dan Ho and HAI Director of Policy Russell Wald.
- Computer Mediated Communication, UC Berkeley School of Information, Fall 2016 (i216) – graduate level course co-taught with Professor Coye Cheshire. Syllabus available here.
- Computer Mediated Communication, UC Berkeley School of Information, Spring 2016 (i216) – graduate level course co-taught with Professor Coye Cheshire. Syllabus available here.
Invited Talks and Panels
- Bringing Dark Patterns To Light–An FTC Workshop. Panelist, April 29, 2021.
- The Rise of Trust Brokers. World Economic Forum Sustainable Development Impact Summit, Sept. 24, 2020.
- “Notice, Consent, and Disclosure in Times of Crisis.” Atlantic Council Data Salon Series, May 27, 2020.
- “Integrating Privacy, Personal Disclosure, and Social Exchange Theory: An Experimental Test.” Ostrom Workshop Colloquium, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, October 21, 2019.
- The Trust Paradox: The Future of Privacy and Transparency in the Digital Economy (panel). The Churchill Club, San Mateo, CA, March 29, 2019.
- “The Cambridge Analytica Debacle,” International Association of Defense Counsel, Santa Barbara, CA, February 27, 2019.
- “Privacy, Anonymity, and Consent.” Conference On Mobile Position Awareness Systems and Solutions, San Francisco, CA, Sept. 7, 2018.
- Data Privacy Day (panel), World Economic Forum Center for the Fourth Industrial Revolution, San Francisco, CA, June 5, 2018.
- Designing Trustable Products: Microinteractions Matter For Secure UX (panel). O’Reilly Design Conference, March 22, 2017.
- Security & Human Behavior, Harvard Law School, May 2016.
- TRUSTe Internet of Things Privacy Summit, June 17, 2015. Panelist, “Enabling Smart Cities: Planning for Privacy.”
- In Short – Advertising and Privacy Disclosures for a Digital World. Federal Trade Commission workshop, May 30, 2012.
- How To Personalize Without Being Creepy. SXSW Interactive – March 14, 2011. Austin, TX.
- “Where’s the Beep? Security, Privacy, and User Misunderstandings of RFID,” given at “Pay On The Go: Consumers and Contactless Payment,” Federal Trade Commission Town Hall Meeting, July 24, 2008, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- “The State of CCTV in the United States,” given at the 3rd Annual Surveillance and Society Conference “InVisibilities: The Practice and Experience of Surveillance in Everyday Life,” April 3, 2008, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, England, UK.
- Panelist, “CCTV: Developing Privacy Best Practices,” Department of Homeland Security Workshop, December 17-18, 2007, Alexandria, VA
- “RFID: A Case Study of the Risks and Benefits of Location-Aware Technologies,” given at the O’Reilly Emerging Technology Conference, March 8, 2006, San Diego, CA.
Conference and Workshop Organization
- Program Committee, Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security, 2020
- Organizer, Redesigning Consent for Better Data Protection, Oct. 2-3, 2019. Co-hosted with the World Economic Forum Center for the Fourth Industrial Revolution, San Francisco, CA
- Program Organizer, Bridging the Gap Between Privacy by Design and Privacy in Practice, CHI, May 2016
- Program Organizer, Privacy By Design: Privacy Enabling Design, Computing Community Consortium, May 2015
- Committee Member, The Future of Networked Privacy: Challenges and Opportunities, CSCW Workshop, 2015
- Committee Member, Measuring Networked Privacy, CSCW Workshop, 2013
- Reconciling Privacy with Social Media – CSCW 2012, Seattle, WA.
- Program Organizer, Security User Studies: Methodologies and Best Practices, CHI Workshop, 2007
Honors and Service
- Best Dissertation Award, Runner-Up: Information Schools (I-Schools) Organization, 2019
- Selected leading paper, Future of Privacy Forum’s Annual Privacy Papers for Policy Makers Award, 2012 (two papers) and 2010.
- UC Berkeley School of Information Dr. James R. Chen Award for Outstanding Master’s Final Project “Social Uses of Communication Backchannels in a Shared Physical Space,” 2006.
- California State Advisory Board on Mobile Privacy Policies, 2012
- California State RFID Advisory Board, 2008
- Reviewer, CSCW, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2013
- Reviewer, International Workshop on Privacy Engineering – IWPE 2016
- Reviewer, CHI, 2014
- Reviewer, IEEE RFID 2012